Optometric Assistant Optometry Springfield Medical Center Springfield, VA
Performs initial work-up and specialized tests for optometry patients. Assists optometrists with clinical tasks as directed by the optometrist.
- Greets patients, enters data into medical records, and escorts patients to examination room.
- Interviews each patient to obtain information about symptoms and documents information provided by patient in medical record.
- Performs initial tests for optometry patients using specialized equipment.
- Provides test results to provider and brings attention to abnormal results.
- Assists optometrist to conduct examinations as directed.
- Assists patients to understand spectacle and contact lens options following diagnosis by optometrist.
- Cleans and maintains specialized equipment and work areas.
- Performs other related duties as directed.
- One (1) year experience doing patient work-up's to include visual acuities, manual and automated lensometry, auto-refraction, noncontact tonometry and knowledge of contact lenses including the teaching of insertion and removal classes or completion of interdepartmental training program emphasizing above skills developed by the Optometry department.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- One (1) of the following certifications: Contact Lens Dispenser (US-CLD), National Contact lens Examiners Certification, Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (US-COA, CPOA, CPOT), National Para-Optometric (US-CPO), Completion of any Optometric Assistant Program of studies, Completion of the Self-Study Paraoptometric Assistant Course, Ophthalmic Medical Assisting-Independent Study Course, or any comparable certification or Optometric or Ophthalmic course completion required or within six (6) months from date of hire.
1) Available to work at all Optometry in Northern Virginia-Burke, falls Church, Fair Oaks, Reston, Tyson's, Springfield, Woodbridge and future centers.
2) Must be able to pass a skills evaluations exam.
3) Available to work Saturdays and possibly Sunday's
4) Possible 10 hour shift
- Successfully demonstrated proficiency on initial skills assessment during the interview process.
- Proficiency in the use of applicable computer software.
- BLS Certification preferred.
Primary Location: Virginia,Springfield,Springfield Medical Center 6501 Loisdale Ct.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Sun-Sat
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: OPEIU - Local 2
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job: Optical Services
Public Department Name: Optometry
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements