Director Public Relations Oakland, CA
Leads the development, execution, and implementation of comprehensive, region-wide Public Relations plans and programs to effectively represent an integrated, consistent, and proactive communications strategy that gives voice to the Kaiser Permanente story and is aligned with Kaiser Permanente's mission, vision, values, brand, and reputation.
- Leads the development and implementation of the Region-wide public relations program to effectively represent Kaiser Permanente from a comprehensive, integrated and regional perspective both internally and externally.
- Continuously advances new and interesting stories across internal channels and media outlets-print, broadcast, and digital media.
- Develops an annual Public Relations strategy and plan in support of regional strategy in key initiatives, projects, and issues.
- Creates strategic programs which may include special events, speaker placement, and other affiliations which promote KP.
- Has a lead role in region-wide reputation and issues management, overseeing and coordinating media relations work, and identifying appropriate internal and external media channels to build a strong messaging platform-traditional and digital.
- Supervises editorial and media relations staff throughout Northern California, and works with Program Offices and other regions on related issues and programs.
- Prepares senior leadership and others for interactions with media - advising about strategy, issues
management, reputation implications and conducting media training.
- Works in coordination with other national, regional, and area colleagues to develop integrated approaches to representing KP with all stakeholders.
- As member of the Communications Leadership, Public Affairs Leadership and the Integrated
- Communications Strategy teams, ensures that region wide issues and brand management are positioned under one common theme that is well-integrated with all stakeholders.
- Successfully cultivates relationships with a broad range of internal stakeholders.
- Establishes and cultivates relationships with regional and national media covering health care and Kaiser Permanente.
- Serves as the organization's designated spokesperson.
- Oversees the management of all internal systems necessary to effectively track, communicate and measure for internal and external coverage.
- Develops policies and practices governing the region's interaction with the media (media relations policy, social media guidelines, etc.).
- Manages staff, budget, and deliverables to create high-impact positive communication programs that earn media attention, differentiate and enhance the KP brand.
- Develops and maintains a high performing team: building a performance-oriented culture characterized by motivated staff who feel accountable for operating as a team and meeting customer needs; directs the appropriate retention and development of staff.
- Develops and implements issue and crisis management media training programs for key leaders and physicians as appropriate.
- Serves as a key communications leader in disaster situations.
- Serves on behalf of the Vice-President, Communications as needed.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in media relations in corporate, agency or health care setting in a large, complex organization, including experience serving as a spokesperson to the media.
- Five (5) years of experience managing a staff.
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, public relations, communications or related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Proficient in print, electronic and digital media. Familiarity with health care industry and issues in California.
- Established relationships with California news media.
- Strong public speaking skills, journalistic writing skills. Skill in negotiation, conflict resolution, critical thinking, influencing, problemsolving and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities including the ability to build consensus on strategies and messages among peers and across different reporting structures.
- Project management skills.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Experience as a working journalist preferred.
- Media relations and communication planning in house or agency for a variety of stakeholders, executive communication and speechwriting experience, expertise with digital media preferred.
- Master's degree preferred.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements