Lactation Consultant RN Part Time Falls Church Medical Center Falls Church, VA
To coordinate and monitor the care of newborns and provide lactation support to new mothers in the postpartum period.
- Employs an interdisciplinary approach to providing comprehensive newborn assessment and lactation support; facilitates the coordination of all necessary services for patients and families.Coordinates patient care for hospital admissions, specialty referrals, and ancillary support departments based on the assessment from the newborn visit. IBCLC may consult with the Provider for further assessment; coordinate with other IBCLC's, Continuing Care services, or hospital staff. IBCLC may also coordinate the member receipt of a hospital grade breast pump which is considered DME.
- Within the assigned service area of operation, contacts every woman who has delivered a newborn, offers telephonic assessment and lactation support, generates a nursing care plan, and monitors follow up. Assesses the needs of the mother and her newborn in the post-partum period. Documents identified high risk factors and problems, which may require consultation and intervention, and plans for appropriate follow up.
- Collaborates with other members of the health care team to identify parent's educational and competency gaps related to breastfeeding and newborn assessment. Conducts and documents individual or family lactation or newborn visits in the Medical Office Building to address the identified gaps associated with the Newborn or Lactation visit.
- In collaboration with other members of the health care team at their assigned medical office building, assesses staff knowledge and identifies competency-based educational needs of staff related to breastfeeding patients and newborn assessment. In collaboration with the KP-MAS Health Education department, provides both formal and informal medical and nursing staff education services in a manner that is consistent, uniform, efficient and costeffective. Evaluates the effectiveness of the education and modifies educational plans as needed in conjunction with the Health Education department.
- Maintains precise records, data, and statistics in order to ensure accurate reporting and documentation of quality assurance and improvement measures, and facilitate research efforts.
- Represents facility at quarterly Regional Lactation workgroup meetings.
- Represents the IBCLC program in facility and regional committees and initiatives.
- Performs duties of the clinical nurse in assigned setting when necessary.
- Assists with development and updating of lactation protocols in collaboration with a health care team of physicians, nurse practitioner, midwife, social workers, and nutritionists.
- Teaches group prenatal newborn care and lactation classes.
- Manages DME breast pumps.
Will require one 4 hr weekend rotation every 4th week at Tysons/Woodbridge; Holiday coverage and one evening shift 11:00am -7:30pm at Reston only a week. Mon-Fri 8 hr shifts x 4 days. Will cover Falls Church 3 days and Reston 2 days during the week. Bilingual Spanish preferred. Experience teaching Health Education classes and facilitating Support groups. Pediatric; Newborn; and/or NICU experience preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years of nursing experience within the last 60 months with one year in either a pediatric or OB-GYN setting.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current RN License in Virginia or compact state required.
- Current Certification from International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants.
- Current BLS from American Heart Association is required.
- Required to pass a standard medication and IV administration test.
- Proficient in use of word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Able to work independently and to be part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Strong newborn assessment skills.
- Experience with Breastfeeding support groups.
- BSN preferred.
Primary Location: Virginia,Falls Church,Falls Church Medical Center 201 N. Washington St.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 36
Working Days: Mon-Friday with weekend rotation
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: UFCW - Local 400
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job: Nursing Licensed
Public Department Name: Pediatrics
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements