Medical Laboratory Technician Berkeley, CA
Under the general direction of the Laboratory Director, or their designee, performs pre-analytical, analytical and post- analytical procedures and analyses according to the California Lab Law and Regulations permitted for Medical Laboratory Technician to provide data for health maintenance, diagnoses, treatment and monitoring of medical conditions. Enhances quality of patient care and service through interdepartmental cooperation and quality assurance protocols.
- Perform and report waived and moderate complexity tests and exams as classified by CLIA in Chemistry (Routine Chemistry, Urinalysis, Endocrinology & Toxicology), Hematology (Including Coagulation), Microbiology (Bacteriology, Mycobacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology & Virology), and Immunology (including Syphilis Serology and General Immunology). Exceptions are moderate complexity tests requiring microscopy and immunohematology.
- Perform phlebotomy and pre-analytic and post-analytic duties as needed.
- Requires on site supervision when performing moderate complexity tests by California licensed personnel according to California Laboratory Law and Regulations.
- Correctly verifies that the proper specimen is being analyzed for the correct patients and that the correct test is being performed.
- Judges the adequacy and qualities of specimens submitted for testing.
- Analyzes clinical laboratory specimens following the standard methods and procedures approved by the Laboratory Director or designee. Performs quality control procedures to ensure accuracy of clinical data.
- Utilizes test reference ranges (including neonates, pediatric and adult) to determine reasonableness of test results.
- Validates test results through correlation with test parameters (e.g. Hgb/Hct, anion gap, etc) and reviews raw data, instrument flags, and other appropriate testing parameters (e.g. dilute if results exceed linearity range) prior to reporting results according to established policy and procedures. Confirms testing on all Critical Values to ensure accuracy prior to releasing of test results according to established policy and procedures.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance and troubleshooting on assigned instruments and equipment according to established schedule and procedure. Performs and documents instrument function by checking and calibrating specific lab instruments and documents data.
- Records on instrument logs any repairs, replacement, and maintenance needed of equipment.
- Releases or reports results per Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures.
- Trains laboratory assistants on proper techniques/procedures related to clinical laboratory practice as needed.
- Performs other related duties as necessary.
- Provides general or direct supervision of Lab Assistants and general clerical personnel as required according to lab law and regulations.
- Computer application experience/proficiency preferred.
- Associate Degree or equivalent in required science courses according to California Lab Law and Regulations for MLT.
- Current California State Medical Laboratory Technician License.
- Meets additional qualification and training requirements according to California Lab Law and Regulations for MLT.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
Primary Location: California,Berkeley,Berkeley Regional Lab - 1701 1701 Eastshore
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri 2:00 PM-10:30 PM, Sat 5:00 PM-1:30 AM
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: ESC/IFPTE - Local 20 - Clinical Lab Scientists
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Public Department Name: Serology
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements