Surgical Technician I Baldwin Park, CA
Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or physician and in accordance with the legal scope of competency and within established standards of care, policies and procedures: assists the physician during surgical procedures by performing scrub duties.
- The Certified Surgical Technician demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies, and behaviors.
- Leadership Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Demonstrates a professional, supportive attitude. Identifies and supports new ideas. Utilizes effective communication strategies, including chain of command and issue escalation, which result in intended outcomes.
- Participates in problem identification and resolution in collaboration with the Registered Nurse.
- Prioritizes work assignments appropriately to ensure completion of patient care activities and notifies Registered Nurse if unable to complete assignments.
- Complies with regulatory requirements, policies, procedures, and standards of practice. Nursing Process Correctly identifies patient and scheduled procedure.
- Performs patient care activities, within the scope of competency, considering age-related needs of the patient as assigned.
- Reports unusual findings to the Registered Nurse.
- Collects data and provides information in a timely manner to the registered Nurse which may assist within the revision of the plan of care.
- Discharge barriers are discussed with the Registered Nurse and intervention taken as directed.
- Clinical Outcomes Applies standard precautions; keeps a safe environment for self and others.
- Observes patient/family conditions and reports to Registered Nurse sudden changes or unusual findings.
- Demonstrates competencies during the probationary period and ongoing by completion of departmental competency validation.
- Transports patients, equipment, supplies, and specimens throughout the medical center utilizing proper body mechanics.
- Participates in departmental performance improvement activities, i.e., planning, measuring/monitoring, assessing and improving.
- Assembles and ensures all equipment/supplies/instruments are appropriate, available, calibrated, and adjusted, in working order, sterilized per protocol and organized for upcoming procedure.
- Sets up and organizes room.
- Performs scrub role (e.g., anticipates surgeon's needs, pass instruments, cut sutures, hold retractors, obtain/process tissue samples) according to standard.
- Assists physician within scope of competency.
- Assists with transfer, transport, and stabilization of patient within the scope of competency.
- Cleans instruments, containers, and equipment according to established guidelines and reassembles packs, prepares for sterilization and/or returns to Central Processing.
- Operates sterilization equipment.
- Operates equipment safely and reports defective equipment upon discovery.
- Cleans, lubricates, and performs preventive maintenance.
- Utilizes computer systems effectively and efficiently.
- Customer Service Practices customer service standards as defined by the Service Area, Medical Center, and specific department.
- Anticipates the customer's desires, takes proactive steps to meet those needs by listening and taking responsibility within scope to ensure issues are resolved.
- Assists members who are less than satisfied with their experience by listening and taking responsibility within their scope to ensure that the issue is resolved.
- Promptly answers call lights, alarms, and patient requests.
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, gives patients and their significant others the information needed within their scope of competency.
- Maintains and protects patient confidentiality.
- Assures a clean, orderly and functional work environment.
- Team Commitment Viewed by others to be an effective team member who is flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others.
- Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively and seeks appropriate assistance.
- Takes accountability for own actions and accepts constructive criticism.
- Assists others unfamiliar to the department.
- Attends all mandatory meetings and inservices, a minimum of 50% of staff meetings, and actively participates in other departmental professional development (Requirement may vary for per diem staff).
- Participates with the assessment of current and future unit learning needs and development of annual educational plan.
- Keeps self-informed of activities on the unit and makes recommendation for change.
- Adheres to Regional Attendance Policy.
- Reports to assigned area promptly, being present and available for report at beginning of assigned shift. Minimizes personal phone call time.
- Supports a collaborative labor-management partnership environment.
- Fiscal Responsibility Organizes work to minimize the use of overtime.
- Identifies and assists in systems improvement that need simplification or correction.
- Utilizes payroll and non- payroll resources to their maximum potential.
Pay Grade: 25
- One (1) year within the last three (3) years operating room scrubbing or equivalent military experience, including a variety of surgical procedures. Education
- Graduate of an approved surgical technologist or military equivalent program.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required. License, Certification, Registration
- Surgical Technologist Certification from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA) and/or National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
- Experience requirements may be waived or modified when an appropriate program or course is available and successfully completed.
- Maintains required certifications as applicable.
- Communicates in a clear, concise manner appropriate to the development stage of the patient.
- Has full command of the English language (written and verbal).
- Position requires considerable walking, standing, moderate lifting, exposure to patient elements, and handling of emergencies and patient incidents within their scope of competency.
- Some positions may be posted as bilingual Spanish required on a position-by-position basis.
- May be expected to float to other areas within their scope of competency.
- Willing to be trained on computer systems.
Notes:- If twelve (12) hour option chosen, shift will be 7:00 am-7:30 pm, back up 8 hour shift will be 3:00 pm-11:30 pm.
Primary Location: California,Baldwin Park,Baldwin Park Hospital 1011 Baldwin Park Blvd.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 0
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: United Healthcare Workers - West
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job: Patient Care Services (Non RN)
Public Department Name: Labor and Delivery
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements