Anesthesia Tech (Certified) Baldwin Park, CA
Assists the Anesthesia provider under the supervision of the Chief of Anesthesiology, or designee. Practices in accordance with the legal scope of practice and within established standards of care, policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the anesthesia provider(s) is involved with the anesthesia plan of care.
- Considering age related needs, performs patient care activities, within the scope of practice. As a member of the anesthesia care team, assists with direct patient care for infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient.
- Working with minimal supervision, daily responsibilities include, but are not limited to the setup, application and assistance of: Non-invasive hemodynamic monitoring, induction of anesthesia for general/regional & local anesthesia, fiberoptic intubation, provide cricoid pressure, insertion of routine & difficult venipuncture, positioning of patient for surgery, anesthesia blocks, and emergency C-sections in labor & deliver.
- Responds to Code Blue, Code Pink, etc. with the anesthesia care team.
- Prepares and applies patient warming modalities when needed.
- Actively participates in: Problem identification and resolution, development of policies & procedures, quality improvement and staff development.
- Manages work assignments to ensure completion of patient care activities.
- Assembles anesthesia airway set up. Prepares machine for malignant hyperthermia & latex allergy when needed.
- Utilizing sterile technique, sets up and assists with placement of invasive monitoring equipment in routine and emergency situations, including: Arterial line, central venous pressure line, PA catheter, cardiac output and other monitoring adjuncts.
- Assists with obtaining lab specimens and ABG's. Is competent in the use of & quality assurance for Point of Care testing equipment.
- Coordinates patient monitoring equipment availability with PACU and Critical Care units.
- Works with perioperative team to facilitate a prompt room turnover.
- Assembles anesthesia equipment and supplies needed for general/regional/local anesthesia.
- Assists anesthesia provider with patient preparation, electrode placement, use of ultrasound/nerve stimulator devices, and performs mechanical task of pressing syringe plunger, as directed by the anesthesia provider, to instill medication during regional blocks.
- Ensuring sterile technique, prepares anesthesia trays and assists with procedures.
- Removes and appropriately disposes of supplies and equipment following procedures done by the anesthesia provider.
- Operates cell salvaging, intra-aortic balloon pumping and TEE devices as required.
- Performs cleaning, sterilization and decontamination of all non-disposable anesthesia related items.
- Considers budget while maintaining sufficient stock, and reviews for outdates, supplies and non-scheduled drugs in the anesthesia workroom, machines, carts, and auxiliary anesthetizing locations.
- Has understanding of medications commonly used in anesthesia including; purpose, proper storage, generic and proprietary names and labeling requirements.
- Coordinates with Pharmacy for out of stock drugs.
- Utilizes working knowledge and operation of all equipment and monitors.
- Performs routine checkout and upkeep of anesthesia equipment, inspects for damages and sends for repair or troubleshoots as needed.
- Coordinates with Biomedical Engineering for maintenance and repair of anesthesia equipment and ensures adequate back-up of equipment at all times.
- Coordinates trial, data collection and recommendations for purchase of new equipment.
- Works with engineering, maintains record/documentation of equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Maintains inventory of disposable and non-disposable equipment, including all supplies and initiates replacement using established contract vendors.
- Maintains & outdates supplies in emergency carts and boxes, such as code blue, malignant hyperthermia, fluid resuscitation/code purple, and fiberoptic/difficult airway.
- Assures a clean, orderly and functional work environment.
- Participates in relevant local, regional and national committees.
- Maintains working relationship with approved vendors.
- Organizes work to minimize the use of overtime.
- Identifies and assists in systems improvements for simplification or correction.
- Utilizes payroll and non-payroll resources to their maximum potential, assists manager in capital budget preparation.
- Consistently demonstrates a professional, supportive attitude.
- Initiates and supports new ideas and actively assists others.
- Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively and seeks appropriate assistance.
- Actively participates in departmental professional development and mentors anesthesia students.
- Participates with the assessment of current and future learning needs and development of an annual educational plan.
- Supports a collaborative labor-management environment.
- Applies precautions; keeps a safe environment for self and others.
- Practices customer service standards as defined by the service area, medical center, and specific department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Consistently supports compliance, the Principles of Responsibility, and Kaiser Permanente's Code of Conduct.
- Maintains and protects patient confidentiality.
- Adheres to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulation, accreditation and licenser requirements and Kaiser Permanente's policies and procedures.
- Graduate of an Accredited program in Anesthesia Technology with an AS degree OR certified by the American Society of Technologists and Technicians (ASATT), as a Technologist
- High School Diploma.
License, Certification, Registration
- Certified Anesthesia Technologist designated by the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists & Technicians (ASATT) Advanced & Basic Cardiac Life Support.
- Valid ACLS & BCLS Provider Card. IV Certification or a graduate of an Accredited Anesthesia Technology Program.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the duties and responsibilities required of a Certified Anesthesia Technologist.
- Must be able to lift 45 lbs of equipment from an overhead position on a daily basis.
- Must be able to push/pull up to 500 lbs.
- Keyboarding skills Upon training, must be able to use appropriate computer software applications, including the Health Connect system.
- Must be able to stand or walk continuously.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge and skill in the use of anesthesia equipment, including proper quality assurance, storage and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of Anesthesia department procedures, principles of asepsis and sterile technique.
- Able to demonstrate manual dexterity and mechanical ability.
- Must be able to exercise judgment and work efficiently and competently with minimal supervision.
- Utilizes effective communication strategies, which result in intended outcomes.
- Minimum 1 yr. experience in a Cardiac OR and/or Level 1 trauma center.
- Certificate of training for Drager, GE, or other anesthesia delivery systems, if not a graduate of a program.
- Associate's degree
- This is an on call position, days and hours may vary according to departmental need
Primary Location: California,Baldwin Park,Baldwin Park Medical Offices 1011 Baldwin Park Blv
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 0
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun,
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: United Healthcare Workers - West
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job: Patient Care Services (Non RN)
Public Department Name: Anesthesiology
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements