Pharmacy Technician Vancouver, WA
Job Number: 292555
The pharmacy technician provides customer-focused services to members in the technical aspects of pharmaceutical care, under the direct supervision of the pharmacist and in collaboration with the healthcare team.
- Overall Individual Responsibilities: Actively supports organizational & departmental policies & procedures w/in the Partnership. Seeks supervision/consultation or refers to another resource when unable to perform safely, effectively or w/in the role. Presents a professional appearance & approach w/ members & other employees; demonstrates honest & ethical behavior. Handles member & employee information w/ appropriate sensitivity & safeguards to ensure confidentiality & right to privacy, in compliance w/ HIPAA regulatory requirements. Demonstrates & incorporates principles of safety & infection control into daily activities as outlined in organization's policies/procedures. Actively supports organizational & department's policies/procedures including established cash handling & asset mgmt. Contributes to the effectiveness of the team by working together by supporting, promoting & applying the established behavioral & interpersonal standards of conduct, as developed through the Labor/Mgmt Partnership, including those on attendance, mutual respect & support, honoring diversity, effective communication, & improving the work environment. Exhibits flexibility when work assignments need to be adjusted to meet service delivery needs & workload of team. Takes responsibility to identify, develop & adapt new policies & practices that improve service & quality of work.
- Overall Job Responsibilities: Cash handling: Ensures that all cash handling practices are in accordance w/ current regional & departmental policies & procedures. Takes precautions to secure funds & to minimize the risk of robbery &/or theft. Places starting cash fund in cash register at the beginning of workday & operates cash register according to established policies & procedures. Completes daily cash-out procedure, including balancing or documenting discrepancies according to departmental policies & procedures. Accurately & completely compiles daily & month-end cash report. Maintains work logs as necessary. Ensures that cash discrepancies do not exceed regional averages (standards). Demonstrates knowledge & ability to operate cash register systems to accurately complete the sales transaction. Gives each patient a cash receipt. Has refunds & voided transactions cosigned in a timely manner. Closes cash drawer after each transaction.
- Phone Handling: Answers telephone, receiving, processing & relaying messages as needed w/ complete discretion in matters of patient confidentiality. Answers phone w/ the location (ex. Kaiser Rockwood Pharmacy), name, & appropriate greeting (ex. 'good morning,' 'good afternoon,' etc.). Demonstrates competence in the operation of the phone system, including transferring, stacking, etc. Requests assistance when required. Triages to the appropriate resource. Gives the caller the opportunity to respond before being placed on hold. Satisfies member request w/in one transfer of a call; stays on the line until the extension is answered to confidentially announce the caller. Follows the current Regional/Departmental Phone Handling Policies.
- Transactions Concerning Members/Medications: Asks for appropriate ID, & records information consistent w/ regional policies & procedures to ensure the accurate sale of all prescriptions to the correct patient. Refers any questions or concerns regarding lack of ID, potential fraud or misuse to supervisor or PIC. Documents & follows through on all information concerning a drug dispensing irregularity in accordance w/ established policies & procedures. Recognizes importance of accuracy in dispensing & selling of prescriptions & OTC products. Actively participates in departmental quality assurance activities. Adheres to the Pharmacy Technician function of providing appropriate information to the member. Refers any & all questions concerning prescription &/or OTC drugs or other health care related topics to a pharmacist in accordance w/ regional confidentiality standards & HIPAA requirements. Reprints a call slip for patient's copy upon request.
- Managing Stock, Supplies & Work Area (variable according to the specific worksite/location): Maintains work & waiting areas in a neat & orderly manner at all times; regularly assists in the cleaning of the department; all shelves are washed thoroughly on a routine basis. Regularly unpacks & stores supplies, verifies items received against invoices, & stores perishables such as antibiotics in refrigerators per policies & procedures. Checks invoices against orders to make sure that all items are received & charges are correct. Reports all discrepancies to the appropriate person in accordance w/ established policies & procedures. Demonstrates knowledge & ability to order all items required in the pharmacy (source such as wholesaler, PSC, General Stores). Orders drugs & supplies in the right amount to reduce outdated medications & eliminate needless inventory stock & storage & informs others of vendor changes. Organizes outdated, overstock & recalled items to ship back to wholesaler &/or regional warehouse for credit on a regular basis. Organizes unclaimed prescriptions for returning to stock & deleting the fills in the computer system. Maintains adequate stock of OTC items & uses appropriate merchandising to ensure correct rotation of stock, neat shelving appearance, cleanliness & pricing. Monitors & maintains inventory & supplies to assure efficient work flow (i.e. filling vial bins, bags, filing prescriptions, etc.). Updates & maintains drug & medical information reference sources as new information becomes available (i.e., 'Facts & Comparisons,' PPL Updates, etc). Reconciles invoices at end-of-month as assigned by supervisor. Ensures Return authorization form w/ confirmation (BBDC). Processes FOA returns (BBDC). Accurately completes Nursing/module orders, including proper billing. Properly processes invoices & prescription records & archives in accordance w/ Regional policies & applicable State & Federal laws & regulations. Ensures appropriate accountability & storage requirements for vaccines. Assures proper functioning of all drug storage equipment (including refrigerators, freezers, Baker Cells, etc.). Supports physical inventory processes & policies, & adheres to Regional guidelines on Asset Mgmt.
- Prescription Processing&Compounding: Accurately & completely inputs all prescriptions &/or patient data into the tops System according to policies & procedures. Uses correct short codes to reflect correct product, package size & strength, doctor's name & directions. Inputs appropriate comments in comment field & documents medical comments & other appropriate information on the call slip for pharmacist's review. Accurately inputs billing methods, co-pays & fees as appropriate. Properly assesses when manual label is required & types the label according to established label standards. Verifies that the name on the prescription & the name presented on the screen are the same & correct. Accurately pulls appropriate drug & package size, verifying accuracy (including manufacturer) w/ the printed label(s). Correctly calculates quantities needed for corresponding sigs & conversions to & from the metric system. Ensures proper processing of FOA's, off-site prescription orders, & special circumstances. Adheres to departmental policies in the filling, processing, handling & security of prescriptions for scheduled medications. Presents completed prescription to the pharmacist for review & verification in a timely manner. Maintains competency in the accurate running, correction, & interpretation of all routine prescription related system reports. Maintains work logs as necessary. Correctly calculates, & has verified, ingredients involved in extemporaneous compounding & documents appropriately in log book.
- Data Mgmt: Inputs refill information & responds to information given on screen appropriately & in accordance w/ established policies & procedures. Generates & processes refill authorizations according to policies & procedures. Demonstrates ability to make correct decisions concerning the appropriate action on prescriptions such as knowing when an Rx needs to be renewed or when the prescriber must be contacted for clarification (i.e., no strength on Rx). Accurately collects demographics & information. Sends accurate & thorough message using computerized information systems &/or in writing. Inputs refill information & responds to prompts/information on screen appropriately & in accordance w/ current policies & procedures. Generates, processes & messages appropriately refill authorizations according to policies&procedures. Accurately inputs all information contained on answered refill authorization, knowing when to renew, add refill, offsite or consult solutions RPh for clarification. Generates computer based reports at the request of supervisor, RPh or the member (tax report) in accordance w/ HIPAA requirements. Maintains work logs as necessary.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
-Current Oregon or Washington Pharmacy Technician license in state where assigned OR Oregon or Washington 1st year Pharmacy Intern license with an expired Oregon or Washington Pharmacy Technician license in state where assigned required upon hire/transfer. - Certified as a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT -Pharmacy Tech Certification Board or ICPhT - Institute for the Certification of Pharmacy Techs) as of 1/1/2010 or current Pharmacy Technician employed in the NW Kaiser Permanente Region.
- Completion of an accredited Pharmacy Technician training program or minimum two (2) years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician.
- Demonstration of the ability to: Speak and read English fluently. Write coherently, legibly and spell correctly.
- Communicate effectively in all forms: written, verbal and non-verbal.
- Provide customer-focused service.
- Calculate math accurately, especially aliquots, concentrations and dilutions.
- Demonstrate a history of reliable attendance.
- Make a positive impact on the team dynamics.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Properly process sterile products in both horizontal and vertical laminar flow environments.
- Evidence of the following work experience and/or documented attributes: Multi-tasking. Cash handling. Personal computer skills. Attention to detail. Team player. Flexible.- Work experience in retail, business office or other service industry setting.
- Previous technician work experience.
- Post high school course in medical terminology.
- Completion of a recognized technician training program.
- Speak and read English fluently.
- Write coherently, legibly and spell correctly.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements