Non Licensed Dispensing Optician Silver Spring Medical Center Silver Spring, MD
To provide the finest care and services possible to the membership served in the Eye Care Department.
- Determines patient's cosmetic needs and price of eyewear according to patient's Health plan. Assists member in the selection of the their eyewear to conform to prescription specifications; advises and recommends the various lens style and any options available that will enhance the member's desired application for their new eyewear, size considerations, and style applications in accordance with the member's personal preference.
- Inspects and verifies the accuracy of incoming orders from production to assure compliance with national and Kaiser Permanente standards.
- Delivers completed order to the intended wearer by bending the frame material using specialized tools and equipment. Verifies exact fitting characteristics of the completed order to comply with prescription requirements and member comfort expectations.
- Assists supervisor in tracking product activity regarding ordering, receiving, usage, and requirements for items for inventory and supplies required for member care and service. Recommends changes in product offerings, inventory levels of products carried, new products, and/or services that the membership is asking about regarding their eyewear.
- Performs operation of and routine maintenance/repair of precision grinding equipment used to produce in-house eyewear to assure accurate and quality output from laboratory.
- Monitors and takes corrective action regarding the physical condition of the department by ensuring that frames on display are clean, properly labeled, and properly adjusted; that displays are clean, in good repair, and neat; that mirrors are clean and well lighted, organized, and conductive to smooth patient flow. Performs routine housekeeping functions as necessary to assure compliance to all factors listed.
- Answers member questions regarding visual health care, the use of eyewear, lens and/or frame products available, low vision aids, and other services available within the department. Addresses questions regarding optometry services and appointment availability within the department. Refers questions outside of department to the appropriate party in the facility or organization as necessary.
- Assists the optometrist in the instruction of members regarding the care and handling of contact lenses. Provides individual instruction and assistance as directed by the optometrist in the member's eye care and eyewear requirements.
- Performs reception, check-in, cashiering, screening, and notification functions as required for expediting patient care and reducing waiting time for the membership being served.
- Attains Kaiser Permanente Mid-Atlantic Optical Services sales goals and complies with all cash handling procedures and policies completely.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Is available as floater to other locations as needed.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience as a dispensing optician required.
- Experience in all aspect of dispensing prescription eyewear required.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- ABO certification in good standing required for new hires or obtained within one (1) year of hire.
- General knowledge of optical theory, optical practice and national standards for accuracy, and quality required.
- Effective written and oral communication skills required.
- Ability to fit and adjust the completed eyewear to the level expected by the wearer required.
- Knowledge of production and manufacturing techniques for Rx orders from raw materials required.
- Knowledge of the applicable system's daily operation requirements required.
- Computer experience preferred.
- Contact Lens certification and/or licensing preferred.
Primary Location: Maryland,Silver Spring,Silver Spring Medical Center 12201 Plum Orchard Dr
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon-Sun, Variable
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: OPEIU - Local 2
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job: Optical Services
Public Department Name: Vision Essentials
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements