Underwriting Coordinator Rockville, MD
Underwriting's overarching function is to anticipate key business, marketplace and competitor dynamics in developing and implementing strategies to optimize business results which include retention and growth targets while mitigating risk. Primary focus is on establishing the appropriate rate and conditions of offering to achieve revenue, membership and margin goals. Additionally, processes and policies are managed to support optimal customer service while collaborating with Sales/Account Management partners to optimize business opportunities and effective solutions.
- Establishes effective business relationships with underwriters by preparing customer cases prior to underwriting and finalizing customer cases following underwriting.
- Processes renewals including Prep, NPS, renewal packet, case review document.
- Hands off to Underwriting team as complete file ready to be underwritten.
- Captures case specific information and records in various tracking systems, including SalesConnect, National Pricing System, and other departmental databases, as applicable.
- Follows business processes and policies to ensure cases are ready for underwriting.
- Reviews rate quote request and census information for accuracy.
- Reviews case submission for completeness and documents missing information for underwriters.
- Creates case file.
- Prepares for case review including generating ad hoc reports.
- Underwrites simple cases with no required judgment with QA by underwriter.
- Ensures departmental record retention policy is followed by purging files and sending files offsite for storage as required.
- Supports department by performing administrative duties, as applicable.
- Schedules meetings with multiple participants.
- Schedules travel arrangements for departmental staff.
- Submits expense reports for department staff.
- Processes all departmental invoices through accounts payable and ensures invoices are coded accurately for budget purposes.
- Manages all activities around ordering and tracking office supplies.
- Associates degree OR two (2) years of college level courses in business administration, health care administration, mathematics, and/or statistics.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated computer literacy including Excel and Word.
- Demonstrated written&verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to balance conflicting deadlines and meet established departmental turnaround goals.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to adapt to changing policies and procedures.
- Proven ability to accurately calculate algebraic rating formulae.
- One (1) year of experience performing analysis work preferred.
- Previous experience performing clerical duties in health care or insurance industry preferred.
- Previous experience coordinating activities related to underwriting processes, health care products, and contracts preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, health care administration, mathematics, or statistics preferred.
Primary Location: Maryland,Rockville,Rockville Regional Offices 2101 E. Jefferson St.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon - Fri
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level: Entry Level
Job: Insurance / Claims
Public Department Name: Pricing & Underwriting
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements