Lab Technical Assistant Histology Coded Replacement Portland, OR
To provide technical and clerical support within scope of practice, to the laboratory professional staff by receiving and preparing specimens for examination/testing, performing and reporting limited analytical and quality control procedures, and communicating test results to authorized recipients
- Receive incoming specimens or blood components and LOG in according to department policies and work instructions.
- Verify correct specimen identity.
- Evaluate that specimen has been collected correctly and handling requirements have been met.
- Notify testing staff of all STAT or ASAP test requests.
- Using Laboratory Quality Assurance policies, initiate problem solving in regards to missing, inadequate or compromised specimens or blood components.
- If the specimen as been collected incorrectly or the quality of the specimen is unacceptable inform the appropriate person (s) and/or arrange for recollection.
- Prepare specimen for testing on-site or for shipment to specific testing laboratory.
- Process may include but not limited to slide preparation/staining, centrifugation, separation, aliquoting, refrigeration/freezing, distribution or routing to testing areas.
- When indicated, determine most appropriate means of specimen transport.
- Ensure compliance with packaging and labeling regulations while maintaining specimen integrity.
- Under technical supervision, perform waived testing according to CLIA regulations.
- Release and report test results when appropriate.
- Receive and screen incoming phone requests for patient reports.
- Following Confidentiality policy, provide test results to authorized recipients by consulting either the electronic or paper information sources.
- Call and/or fax abnormal, STAT or requested results to the appropriate person(s).
- Verify that verbal reports have been correctly received.
- Serve as a resource person by answering questions or providing instructions related to specimen collection and processing.
- When appropriate, refer calls to technical staff, pathologists or other department(s).
- Support accurate record keeping by preparing accession logs, initiating worksheets, and creating and maintaining files.
- Compile data for workload auditing, quality assurance monitors, research and patient history.
- Prepare completed patient reports for final distribution.
- Perform quality control and maintain records of routine maintenance procedures specific to the work area.
- Record any action taken to correct unacceptable quality control or equipment functions.
- Conduct environmental safety checks where applicable.
- Collect and package bio-hazardous and chemical waste for disposal.
- Ensure adequate levels of supplies in the work area through timely inventory and ordering practices.
- Order products and supplies through purchasing or specific vendor.
- Prepare and label reagents according to work instructions.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
$18.71 - $22.50
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Passing score on Medical Lab Terminology Assessment.
- Demonstrated customer-focused service skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients and staff at all levels.
- Willingness to handle patient specimens.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately perform multiple tasks within a limited time frame and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated verbal and written command of the English language.
- Basic computer skills.
- Proven dependability and good attendance.
- Ability to lift and move containers weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Working knowledge of typing/computer keyboard (20 wpm.)
- Experience in a medical laboratory preferred.
- Experience in operating computer systems, printers, copiers and fax machines is preferred.
- Successful completion of four (4) or more classes at an accredited university or college in life sciences (including Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry, Physiology, Organic Chemistry, Cell Biology, Anatomy, Genetics or related field) is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Kaiser system preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and organize preferred.
- Ability to use multi-line phone system preferred.
- Demonstrated highly effective communication and human relation skills preferred.
- Proficient in high-volume, detail-oriented tasks preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills preferred.
Primary Location: Oregon,Portland,Airport Way Regional Laboratory 13705 NE Airport W
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 20
Working Days: CR 20 hours for benefit purposes only, not guaranteed hours, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri and every other weekend.
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: SEIU - Local 49
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Public Department Name: Laboratory
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements