Release of Information Manager Clackamas, OR
Provide managerial leadership for Release of information and Disclosure Accounting Services, ensuring compliance with HIPAA Privacy rules, Federal and State laws, Rules and Regulations and Kaiser Permanente policy when disclosing Personal Health Information (PHI). Under direction of Health Information Director, develop and sustain high performance work teams that consistently achieve service standards, customer satisfaction, and financial performance targets which supports the Program's mission, goals and objectives. Serves on the Regional Privacy, Security and Confidentiality Committee.
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff to accomplish timely and qualitative responses to requests for disclosures of PHI to attorneys, insurance companies, social agencies, health care providers and others with appropriate authorization and need, by planning and executing short and long term strategic actions which support the mission and goals of the Organization. In partnership with NWP and the Integrity, Compliance and Ethics Department: Leads, plans and executes actions within the local market ensuring the confidential disclosure and handling of PHI. Establish and maintain strong shared values, programs, policies and practices that ensure compliance with Federal and State laws, Kaiser Permanente Policy, and Community standards when disclosing PHI.
- Ensure documentation of all work functions in the department. Develop and maintain department policies and procedures in conjunction with regional HIM operations. Establish and monitor quality assurance programs that ensure compliance with state, federal and other regulatory agencies and accepted professional practice standards. Develop, communicate, and implement safety standards in the workplace.
- Develop department budget, recommend and justify resource allocation needs. Provide periodic reports of budget variance; Analyze work methods and utilization of resources in a cost effective manner. Directly manage the strategic plan and implementation of efforts to improve work methods. Analyze problems and formulate solutions using effective communication skills with clinicians, managers and other related personnel. Acts as a resource for the Region, answering questions regarding release of information.
- Establishes, implements and evaluates organizational structures, policies and personnel management practices to achieve effective frontline supervision of Release of information Services for the local market. Ensures the recruitment, training and retention of motivated, competent lead, technical and support staff to ensure the availability of knowledgeable, skilled staff through interviewing, hiring and orientation of new employees. Recommend and recognize outstanding performance and complete employee performance evaluations timely. Encourage and support staff development and continuing education. When warranted, perform coaching/counseling, issue investigation and resolution, corrective action and termination. Keep staff informed of the Program's mission, strategic direction, values and the external environment.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of the clinical information systems, which comprises the KP Health record. Coordinate with Purchasing and service vendors to ensure cost effective procurement of equipment and services and supplies. Provide advice on designing department space and implementing new technology into the workplace.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a leadership and/or supervisory position
- Minimum five (5) years of experience working with disclosure of PHI or working within the Health Information Management (HIM) Department (this can also be a combination of work experience in HIM along with educational experience).
- Baccalaureate degree in health care administration, business, or related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Required license, registration, certification or professional affiliation: Registered Health Information Administration (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) credential (current) that is accredited with American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or similar certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sound business practices and management principles and techniques i.e. financial management, strategic planning, personnel management, and resource allocation.
- Knowledge of state and federal and regulatory agency standards, laws, rules and regulations with application to health information management including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- Demonstrated skills in leading and training staff.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology; PC's in a Window based environment.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in Release of Information in a managed healthcare organization.
- Minimum three (3) years experience with HIPAA and patient disclosure tracking and regulations.
- Thorough knowledge with demonstrated experience in Release of Health Information requirements and with customer focused service skills.
- Computer and word processing knowledge regarding program and printer use and operation.
- Thorough knowledge of medical terminology.
- Through knowledge of State and Federal laws regarding the release of health care information including drug and alcohol, HIV, Genetic and mental health information including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
- Information technology and systems literate.
- Proven ability to successfully manage people: ability to work independently; ability to plan, organize & manage projects; demonstrated customer-focused service skills.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills to communicate with a diverse population of people from varying educational and experience backgrounds.
- Experience leading union employees
- Understanding and demonstrated knowledge regarding metrics and analytics
- Baccalaureate degree in health information management, health care administration, business, or related field.
Primary Location: Oregon,Clackamas,Regional Process Center 10220 SE Sunnyside Rd.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: Non-Union, Non-Exempt
Job Level: Manager with Direct Reports
Job: Medical Records
Public Department Name: Release of Information
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements