Senior Lead Designer Oakland, CA
Do you want to make a real impact in society through design? Are you a trained designer that loves gnarly challenges and creative problem solving? Want to be a part of a team with a touted history and an exciting future?We're looking to hire 3 designers to take our team to the next level, and this position requires the most experience with a minimum of 7 years of practical experience doing design work and 3 years leading teams and projects.
- You've got a background in design.
- You have a classic design degree and an anchor talent in your -deep T.- You've got a portfolio that shows an excitement to work across all phases of design work from research and synthesis to producing final deliverables.
- You care about people and can lead them.
- You are a people person. It doesn-t matter if you are extroverted or introverted-what-s important is that you have a love and fascination of people!
- You have experience leading teams in a past or current role and you love to coach and see your team members grow.
- You are mission-driven.
- You have a real passion for healthcare whether or not you've worked in the industry. It's not always easy, but you don't care-it's a complicated world and you want to be part of it.
- You are not a lone ranger.
- You like working in a team and making the experience of others around you even better. You're excited to push a large health care organization think to big and act on its ideas.
- You've got personality.
-You are curious, humble, and don't take yourself too seriously. You impress others with a MacGuyver-like ability to make something out of seemingly nothing.
Details about the position
- All positions may include up to 50% travel within the U.S.
- When not in the field, we work out of offices in Downtown Oakland or at our Garfield Innovation Center in San Leandro.
- A portfolio and resume are required to apply.
Learn more about the KP Innovation Consultancy
Established in 2003, the Innovation Consultancy started as a first-of-its-kind experiment to explore the value of human centered design in health care at Kaiser Permanente. Today we are a vital asset for the organization. Our multi-disciplinary team, with expertise in design, public health, anthropology, nursing, science, business and more, leads large scale initiatives to make lives better and to grow capabilities in human centered design and innovation enterprise-wide. We-re looking for a service designer to expand our capabilities and bring individual passion and expertise to the team. Our work has been featured in the Harvard Business Review, Fast Company, New York Times and numerous design and creativity books from leaders in the fields of design, innovation, and health care.
We care deeply about how we practice as a team - collaboratively, thoughtfully and with joy.
- Read about the team and our past work - http://kpinnovation.org/
- A snapshot of how we do field research - https://hbr.org/2010/09/kaiser-permanentes-innovation-on-the-front-lines
- Celebrate our two most recently awarded work products - http://www.dmi.org/?page=2016DVAKaiser and http://www.fastcoexist.com/3057404/world-changing-ideas/kaiser-permanente-has-designed-a-health-center-that-puts-patients-first
- Responsible for managing multiple innovation and design projects, managing customer relations, and scouting new business.
- Describe the vision of innovation project with teams in to help guide them in conducting background research for the topic to be innovated around.
- Evaluate the background research of topic and guide team to ensure their understanding of the current state.
- Organizes, participates and leads out in observation activities in the assigned area and reports to the team providing insight into current practices.
- Organizes, participates and leads out in the analysis and synthesis activities in the assigned topic designing visual frameworks to be used in the assigned area.
- Organizes, participates and leads teams in brainstorming new approaches in creating prototypes.
- Organizes, participates and leads teams in prototype development.
- Organizes and leads out in the testing of prototypes to be used by the team in Field-testing of new ideas to determine the benefit. Participates in the field-testing activities to determine the benefit of the new ideas.
- Assigns prototyping tasks to team members and participates in the creation of iterative prototypes as feedback is obtained.
- Conduct background research of topic to assist team with understanding the current state.
- Participates in observation activities in the assigned area and reports to team providing insight into current practices.
- Participates and in the in analysis and synthesis activities in the assigned topic designing visual frameworks to be used in innovation in the assigned area.
- Participates in brainstorming new approaches to use in creating prototypes and in the prototype development.
- Participates in the testing of prototypes to be used by the team in Fieltesting of new ideas to determine the benefit. Participates in the field-testing activities to determine the benefit of the new ideas.
- Responsible for the creation of iterative prototypes as feedback is obtained.
- Creates presentations and reviews presentations of others documenting the findings of the innovation efforts.
- Makes presentations independently or with other members of the team in reporting the results of the innovation work.
- Prepares, updates and maintains communication materials, and schedules as developed.
- Prepares updates and maintains content in the IC web site and slide show presentations and assists with the creation of standards or templates for IC presentations.
- Minimum seven (7) years in design, innovation, or related field.
- Minimum three (3) years of managing projects.
- Bachelor's degree required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Human Centered Design.
- Project Management.
- Team Management.
- Advanced knowledge (broad expertise or unique knowledge) of policies, practices and systems.
- Develops advanced concepts, techniques, and standards.
- Develops new applications based on professional principles and theories.
- Viewed as functional expert in field within KP.
- Applies advanced principles, theories, and concepts.
- Contributes to the development of innovative principles and ideas.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- MFA in Design (Service, Communication, Industrial, UX, or related design degree).
- Knowledge of health care industry.
- Experience as an active team member on design research and service design projects.
- Experience working within the health care field.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and design tools across a variety of media (print, motion, web). Specifically, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and AfterEffects.
Primary Location: California,Oakland,1800 Harrison 1800 Harrison
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon - Fri
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job: Research and Development
Public Department Name: The Innovation Consultany
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements