Manager Underwriting Oakland, CA
Primarily responsible for providing leadership and direction to underwriting employees. This work requires expertise in communication skills and management concepts plus excellent understanding of underwriting concepts and the ability to assess market and competitive position. Activities managed include ownership of operational processes as well as implementing policy and process improvements. Underwriting management works closely with Sales and Account Management leadership to anticipate key business, marketplace and competitor dynamics. Underwriting management collaborates with Sales and Account management leadership to implement strategies to optimize business results, including retention and growth targets, while mitigating risk. Primary focus is on establishing the appropriate rate and conditions of offering to achieve revenue, membership and margin goals.
- Manages the efforts of direct & indirect reports, & collaborates with, provides guidance to & influences employees, clients & matrix partners, in complex organization(s).
- Managerial responsibility for selecting, developing, & deploying staff in the most effective manner to meet assigned objectives.
- Managerial responsibility for performance management, compensation decisions, rewarding & recognizing employees, & providing on-going, regular performance feedback.
- Effectively leverages KP's Manager Coaching Program to support team development & sales excellence.
- For Managers in the ROCs: Generally, multiple lines of business will be managed.
- For Managers in California: Generally, only one line of business of significant size will be managed.
- For Managers in National Accounts: Generally, work will be conducted across regions & may include a higher proportion of direct customer interaction.
- Establishes complex departmental strategy & tactics, & contributes to operational area's strategy formulation & execution.
- Coordinates complex planning activities with team members to accomplish goals, allocate resources & track results.
- Determines complex objectives & sets priorities; anticipates potential threats or opportunities & vets them within the organization.
- Monitors & evaluates complex plans; focuses on results & measuring attainment of outcomes.
- Ensures that effective controls are developed & maintained to ensure the integrity of production outcomes for the department. Takes corrective action as appropriate.
- Develops individual career paths & leadership opportunities for staff.
- Initiates & evaluates complex business process improvements in order to achieve business results & appropriate solutions for customers.
- Uses efficient & cost effective approaches to integrate complex processes & technology into the workplace & improve program effectiveness.
- Manages development & execution of new capabilities including self funding & total replacement.
- Has authority to independently authorize Changes to rates up to limits specified by authority guidelines.
- Manages tracking & administering investment funds for their business units.
- Achieve revenue, membership & margin targets for area of responsibility.
- Ensure & provide required documentation that underwriting activities & staff are operating as 100% compliant per state & internal regulatory guidelines.
- Formulates complex, effective strategies consistent with the business & competitive strategy of the organization & functional area.
- Develops complex policy issues & strategic planning with a long term as well as short term perspective.
- Build collaborative relationships with internal & external partners.
- Seven (7) years of experience in underwriting, marketplace evaluations, and/or financial analysis.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, health care administration, mathematics, statistics, OR four (4) years of experience in underwriting, marketplace evaluations, and/or financial analysis.
License, Certification, Registration
- Advanced proficiency in underwriting.
- Demonstrated experience in advanced problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience in strong interpersonal skills, customer facing skills, public presentation skills, including negotiation.
- Experience in effective verbal/written communication skills.
- Proficiency in analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of health care industry, market dynamics for managed health care products, and competitor practices.
- Two (2) years of experience in a supervisory or lead role.
- Two (2) years experience in a managed care environment.
- Previous experience in utilization and pricing models, HMO Act, state regulations, rate setting principles, and actuarial concepts.
- Master's degree in mathematics, statistics, business administration or a directly related field.
Primary Location: California,Oakland,1800 Harrison 1800 Harrison
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon - Fri
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level: Manager with Direct Reports
Job: Insurance / Claims
Public Department Name: Pricing/Underwriting
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements