Supervisor Release of Information \ Medical Records Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Under the direction of a Health Info Mgmt Dir, supervises the day-to-day operations of in-patient &/or outpatient medical records Mgmt, storage, filing, retrieval, maintenance & distribution - &- 2 or more health info support/ancillary srvs such as but not limited to medical transcription/dictation, release of medical info, medical correspondence/secretarial srvs, legal documents & vital records, legal support srvs. Plans, prioritizes, assigns & reviews the work performed by a staff of medical records clerks/techs &/or medical transcriptionists & other personnel; ensures that staff's work meets or exceeds established productivity & performance standards & that medical record documentation (transcription) &/or medical records Mgmt meets or exceeds established quality & regulatory requirements. (Note:this job does not require knowledge or use of medical coding practices, techniques, methods or classification systems).
- AS APPROPRIATE FOR ASSIGNED AREAS/FUNCTIONS:
- Assists Health Info Mgmt Dir in meeting quality, srv, cost, productivity, & reimbursement goals & objectives.
- Coordinates all functions & srvs related to medical records systems & Mgmt.
- Plans, coordinates, assigns, prioritizes, & monitors daily work for assigned staff which may include: Medical Records retrieval, assembly, delivery, completion; transcriptions; release of info; vital statistics registration; medical correspondence/secretarial srvs; legal support srvs.
- Works w/Dir to develop & implement policies & procedures, work systems, methods, & processes & contingency plans for each function to assure timely & accurate completion of work that is consistent w/regulatory agency requirements.
- Establishes, organizes & maintains a medical records system(s) in accordance w/organizational, institutional, state & national regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that an accurate, complete medical record is available to medical providers & other authorized users requesting medical record info to support clinical research, decision support analysis, disease Mgmt, reimbursement or to measure the quality, efficacy, safety & costs of patient care.
- Designs & implements systems & methods for auditing the quality, adequacy, consistency & completeness of medical records/documentation & to initiate corrective/remedial procedures & practices as needed.
- Develops & implements policies & procedures for processing medico-legal documents, insurance & medical correspondence requests in compliance w/professional standards of practice & applicable statutory requirements.
- Coordinates provision of srvs w/medical staff & other medical center Depts/personnel & external agencies.
- Responds to requests from individuals, agencies, courts & other external agencies for medical info in accordance w/Dept policies/procedures pertaining to release of confidential patient info.
- Identifies the need for & evaluates/recommends appropriate content of contracts w/outside providers/independent contractors to provide medical records Mgmt, transcription or other srvs.
- Continually monitors & evaluates work flow, systems/processes & output.
- Apprises Dir of need for operations adjustment, updating &/or improvement when necessary.
- Hires, fires, ensures appropriate orientation & training of assigned staff: counsels & disciplines employees when necessary.
- Supervises the work & evaluates the performance & productivity of assigned personnel.
- Develops, maintains, & updates Dept policies & procedures & performs special studies as requested.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Minimum three (3) years of previous relevant experience supervising medical records management systems in an acute care general medical center or comprehensive ambulatory care center.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED).
License, Certification, Registration
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of laws and regulations and accreditation standards pertaining to medical records ( e.g., TJC, HIPAA , CMS, DHS, Medicare, Uniform Health Care Information Act).
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of and to utilize the professional practice standards, principles, techniques and methodologies pertaining to the creation and use of medical records If supervising medical transcription/dictation services: ability to demonstrate an understanding of medical language and interpret dictation by physicians in order to assist transcriptionists with issues involving editing, clarification, style and practice standards.
- For in-patient medical records management: recent experience with C.A.L.S. and TJC surveys.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize the principles and practices of effective supervision.
- Proficient with a variety of software used by the department.
- Must be able to work in a Labor-Management Partnership environment.
- Associate's degree in health information technology.
- Accredited Records Technician.
- Travel required for personal appearances as the Custodian of Records for the department.
Primary Location: California,Rancho Cucamonga,Empire Corporate Plaza 10740 4th St.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level: Team Leader/Supervisor
Job: Medical Records
Public Department Name: Central Release of Information Unit
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements