Lab Asst II Irvine, CA
To perform venipuncture and skin puncture and pre-analytical and post analytical steps of laboratory testing.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Selects the appropriate phlebotomy technique relative to the age and physical maturation of the patient.
- Assesses the quality of blood to be drawn from the patient based on the patient's age, physical maturation and the test or study to be performed.
- Performs venipuncture, finger stick or heel stick, as required, proficiently on patients of all ages.
- Properly labels sample(s) and transports to laboratory or Clinical Laboratory Scientist as required.
- Performs the pre-analytical phase of testing by bar coding, centrifuging, separating, logging, culturing and staining of bacteriological specimens.
- Monitors and maintains appropriate inventory levels of supplies and reagents.
- Establishes and maintains courteous, cooperative relations with the public, patients and other personnel.
- Performs other duties as required including checking in patients collecting appropriate revenue, accessioning test orders and giving preparation instructions to patients.
- Handles difficult patients in a professional manner.
- Displays professionalism at all times, both in attitude and appearance.
- Follows directives form all supervisors, leads and seniors.
- Assume other activities and responsibilities from time to time as directed.
Pay Grade: 23
- One (1) year phlebotomy experience in an acute care medical center or non-acute care setting.
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Valid California phlebotomy certificate.
- A valid certification is defined as:1.) Have in their physical possession the California Department of Health Services (CADHS), Certified Phlebotomist Technician (CPT) document.
- NOTE: The SCPMG Regional Reference Lab does not require phlebotomy certification.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the duties/responsibilities of the job at a fully satisfactory performance level.
- Relevant college courses in the life sciences.
- May need to work every other weekends, and holidays as needed
- Variable start times from 12:30pm to 3:30am and end times from 9:00pm to 11:30pm
- Variable days off depending upon departmental needs.
- May need to travel as needed to all South Orange County Medical Office Buildings and Medical Center labs including but not limited to Huntington Beach Medical Office, Mission Viejo Medical Offices, Irvine Barranca Medical Offices, Irvine Medical Center, Alton/Sand Canyon Medical Offices II, Aliso Viejo Medical Offices, San Juan Camino Capistrano Medical Office, Harbor/MacArthur Medical Office, Tustin Ranch, and Foothill Ranch Medical Offices.
Primary Location: California,Irvine,Orange Co Irvine Medical Center 6640 Alton Pkwy.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 0
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: United Healthcare Workers - West
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Public Department Name: Laboratory
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements