Clinical Lab Scientist Chino Hills, CA
Performs pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical phase testing of all complexities as defined by Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act/Amendment (CLIA) to include specialized tests and analysis in one or more areas of clinical laboratory such as Hematology, Microbiology, Clinical Chemistry, Urinalysis, Immunohematology, Serology, Parasitology and chemical and morphological examinations to obtain data for use in diagnosis and recording laboratory test results. Analysis of test results are performed on the population serviced (e.g., neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, geriatric clients).
Note: FOR CLS WORKING AT THE RRL, SEE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS SPECIFIED IN THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT SECTION.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Provides the highest level of patient care as defined by established standards and maintains confidentiality on all tests performed by the laboratory.
- Performs and reports test results for all clinical laboratory procedures as assigned, both automated and manual, in the clinical laboratory department, without immediate review by the director, consultant, or supervisory team.
- Demonstrates proficiency, competency and understanding of fundamental principles of clinical laboratory procedures with minimal amount of supervision.
- Monitors and is accountable for test data, quality control, quality assurance, preventive maintenance, proficiency testing and all operations related to laboratory testing procedures.
- Notifies Supervisory team of any irregularities of factors, which may influence test results.
- Ability to trouble- shoot equipment and test methods.
- Identifies and resolves unusual laboratory situations and notifies appropriate parties within shift.
- Consults with physicians, nurses, pharmacists, etc. on the technical aspects of methodologies used, appropriateness of test utilization and interpretation of patient results.
- Instructs new employees and/or Clinical Laboratory Scientist students in laboratory procedures within area the CLS assigned, in order that they may develop proficiency and understanding of the clinical laboratory methodology.
- Provides training, guidance and pertinent technical information to Laboratory Assistants, support staff, clerks, CLS students and Medical Center personnel.
- Discusses clinical laboratory problems of mutual interest with the Supervisory team, and lead technologist in order to develop a better communication link within the department.
- Participates in work groups to work through problems, issues or goals of the department.
- Assists in evaluating new tests procedures when requested and communicates to the Supervisory team the possibilities for their implementation.
- Meets states requirements for mandatory CEUs.
- As defined by established standards, works in a professional, cooperative and courteous manner.
- Observes all laboratory, Kaiser Permanente and regulatory agency policies and procedures.
- Maintains overall safety (including chemical and biological) of the department in accordance with established safety, infection control and procedure protocols.
- Monitors supplies and reagents and notifies appropriate parties of par levels.
- As necessary and appropriate, may perform any clerical or other duties of support staff/laboratory assistants that may be assigned such as performing phlebotomy on inpatients and outpatients.
- Accepts responsibility of assisting in work areas not primarily his/her own. Operates computerized laboratory data systems/applications.
- Participates in direct patient care by providing the patient with information to enhance the understanding of laboratory test, instructing the patient on specimen requirements and conditions for specialized testing and collecting from the patient samples to include blood, body fluids, secretions, and tissues for analysis.
- High School Education or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- A current and valid California State Clinical Laboratory Scientist License (CLS)
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of and to utilize the principles, theories, practices, methodologies and techniques required of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
NOTE: ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR REGIONAL REFERENCE LABS (RRL):
- Function competently as a Licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist in a high volume Laboratory demonstrating knowledge of principles, theories, practices, techniques. Must have Good communication skills and able to solve problems.
- Experience in automated instrumentation; knowledge testing principles; molecular based procedures; QC protocols; knowledge in autoverification, EIA, chemiluminence and IFA platforms;knowledge of method validations.(CORE LAB, AUTO CHEM, IMMUNOLOGY, MOLECULAR LAB)
- Experience and knowledge in using high complex methods employing electrophoresis,chromatography, and mass spectrometry (SPECIAL CHEMISTRY. BIOCHEMICAL GENETICS)
- Read, interpret, work-up and report culture results for all areas of Aerobic and Anaerobic Bacteriology; proficient in reading and interpreting stained smears; knowledge and ability to set-up and report automated/molecular identification and susceptibility testing and interpret results (BACTERIOLOGY)
- NOTE: ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR REGIONAL FLOW CYTOMETRY (LOS ANGELES):
- One year recent experience in Flow Cytometry analysis such as leukemia / lymphoma phenotyping, paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, T cell subset enumeration, DNA cell cycle analysis and cytochemical staining.
- A Clinical Laboratory Scientist with a limited license will only qualify for a CLS position within their specialty and only applicable in the following departments at the Regional Reference Laboratories: Chemistry limited license qualifies for Automated Chemistry or Esoteric Chemistry CLS positions; Toxicology limited license qualifies for Esoteric Chemistry CLS positions; Immunology limited license qualifies for Molecular or Immunology CLS positions; Microbiology limited license qualifies for Bacteriology, Molecular or Immunology CLS positions
- One (1) year recent experience as a CLS.
Primary Location: California,Chino Hills,Chino Hills Regional Laboratory 13000 Peyton Dr.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 0
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: UFCW - Clinical Lab Scientists
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Public Department Name: Bacteriology
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements