Sterile Processing Technician I Honolulu, HI
Under indirect supervision, assists in distribution of sterile and contaminated supplies to nursing inpatient and clinic departments; inventories and stocks supply carts; fills requisitions as required; washes, decontaminates, checks, assembles, wraps, sterilizes, stores, and issues trays, instruments, supplies and equipment. In addition, assumes responsibility for appropriate care, processing, and sterilization of specialty instruments for varied surgical services; assists O.R. staff by sterilizing specialty equipment and/or obtaining additional or extra supplies required for procedures; assists with room preparation and/or clean-up activities to assure timely turnover of surgical suites and increase utilization of resources.
- Segregates all used instruments, equipment apparatus, and other articles returned to CSD according to decontamination method; loads appropriate items in washer; washes other items in sonic cleaner or manually, using approved detergent; wipes dry; washes appropriate items in cart-washer; changes graph paper of processing equipment.
- Assembles instruments; sets-up variety of general and special trays; wraps and seals items in wrappers according to established procedures in preparation for sterilization. In addition, inspects surgical instrumentation for proper function.
- Runs sterilizer test packs according to policy; incubates and interprets biological indicator; notifies supervisor immediately of any abnormal results.
- Performs sterilization procedures in accordance with sterilization standards and departmental policies and procedures; practices universal precautions and infection control procedures; ensures safe sterilization; detects any malfunction of equipment; checks equipment indicators before, during and after each load to ensure proper equipment settings; applies load identification label to each package after sterilization process complete; shelves appropriately. In addition, demonstrates working knowledge of surgical equipment and supplies, including special care and sterilization procedures.; assumes responsibility for appropriate care, processing, and sterilization of specialty instruments for varied surgical services, (e.g. bronchoscopes, laser, midas rex, laparoscope); assists O.R. staff by sterilizing specialty equipment and/or obtaining additional or extra supplies required for procedures; assists with room preparation and/or cleanup activities to assure timely turnover of surgical suites and increase utilization of resources.
- Adheres to all aspects of sterility control, universal precautions and infection control practices; participates in departmental meetings, inservice programs and quality assurance activities to keep abreast of current trends; researches methods and processes to maximize effectiveness and reduce wastage of resources; recognizes own learning needs and seeks knowledge to increase skills and abilities.
- Receives and prepares items requiring gas sterilization; ensures proper packaging; arranges for transport and return of items to outside facility; ensures all return items have been sterilized; verifies all items sent out are returned; ensures provision of manufacturer documentation for gas sterilization by requesting department.
- Reviews and maintains sterilizer load indicators; files reports; completes log; recalls positive biological products from user departments.
- Inspects color of tapes on newly autoclaved items and on stored sterile packs on all supply shelves; sends outdated supplies for reprocessing or replacement; restocks shelf items as needed.
- Cleans and performs minor daily maintenance of equipment; reassembles and tests equipment after decontamination; reports equipment failures or errors immediately to maintenance and notifies supervisor/lead; prepares repair requisition for equipment or other items returned due to malfunction.
- Checks, organizes, and restocks supplies on shelves; pulls outdated articles; receives and checks quantities of supplies from warehouse.
- Takes and fills orders for supplies; refers to appropriate person as needed; prepares, checks and organizes requisitions and supply cart issue forms; ensures accurate charges to facilitate data entry; inventories and restocks departmental supply carts and specialty carts; records issues for each cart restocked; completes required records; assists in obtaining supplies/equipment from other facilities when necessary; uses supplies with close attention to cost containment and reduction of costs; assists in evaluating new supplies.
- Maintains daily inventory of all equipment; inputs inventory data in computer as assigned; files completed requisitions and forms; updates replenishment area profiles as necessary; enters counts; prints and issues picklists; participates in cyclical and annual inventory procedures; removes all questionable and outdated supplies from supply areas; inspects sterility of supplies and makes arrangements for re-sterilization or reordering as needed; rotates stock as necessary; assists with ordering and receiving departmental stock and non-stock items. Assists in stocking and restocking surgical supply areas; maintains inventory supply listings of instruments; maintains itemized list of standard instrument trays and contents.
- Cleans and maintains neat and orderly work areas according to department standards; wipes and straightens shelves, tables and equipment; wipes shelves, carts and drawers, while restocking.
- Logs surgical specimens and sends to pathology at appropriate time; checks and orders formalin daily for O.R. specimens.
- Checks and logs blood refrigerator temperature daily; reports variances; transports blood form blood bank to O.R.; returns unused blood following procedure.
- Monitors O.R. environment to assure safety of patients, staff and visitors; reviews departmental safety policies and procedures; demonstrates understanding of safety policies and procedures in daily duties.
- Keeps abreast of current trends in sterile processing and inventory control.
- Uses effective communication skills to collaborate with other team members and interact with other departments; accepts and gives constructive feedback.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide culturally sensitive care and/or service.
- Performs other duties and accepts responsibility as assigned.
- One (1) year Central Services or Operating Room sterilization experience including basic turnover surgical processes.
- Post high school coursework in microbiology or related field; or equivalent combination of education (lesser) & experience may be considered in lieu of requirements.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated working knowledge of medical terminology, methods of sterilization, infection control, universal precautions, use of sterilizers, decontamination equipment and procedures, intricate specialty equipment, surgical instrumentation by name and usage, principles for inventory control, monitoring, utilization and establishment of par levels for supplies, equipment and instrumentation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in oral communication, written communication, interpersonal relations, customer service, detailorientation, adaptability, and change management.
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
- Reading, writing, speaking and understanding English.
- Training/giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g., organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration and alertness.
- Post high school coursework in management.
- Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT) by the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) Or Registered Central Service Technician (RCST) by International Association of Healthcare Central Services Materiel Management (IAHCSMM).
- Working knowledge of technical equipment, ability to troubleshoot and make recommendations for repair or replacement.
- Basic knowledge of microbiology.
Primary Location: Hawaii,Honolulu,Hospital/Medical Offices 3288 Moanalua Rd.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 1
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: HERE-Local 5
Job Level: Entry Level
Job: Materials Management
Public Department Name: MaterialMgmt-CentralProcessing
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements