Laboratory Assistant Senior Lihue, HI
Under direct supervision, Performs clinical laboratory procedures and test using manual and automated equipment. Maintains required records and data. Assists laboratory technician and medical technologists. Supports compliance and Principles of Responsibility. Maintains confidentiality. Protects organizational assets. Exhibits ethics and integrity. Adheres to applicable federal and state laws and regulations, accreditation and licensing requirements, policies and procedures. Reports and/or resolves issues of non-compliance.
- Obtains laboratory specimens such as blood, urine and sputum directly from patient.
- Using centrifuge, Separates plasma or serum from whole blood. Checks specimen acceptability for testing. Labels, distributes and stores samples appropriately. Measures/weighs appropriate samples. Provides information to technicians and technologists to be used in further laboratory testing.
- Maintains and operates equipment such as centrifuges used to prepare samples for testing. Keeps Quality Control Maintenance Charts on such equipment as well as refrigerators and freezers within department. Tends automatic equipment as appropriate to prepare specimens for analytical testing.
- Inoculates bacteriological specimens on culture media. Prepares smears for staining.
- Performs input of data via computer CRT/keyboard. Handles inquiries on laboratory specimen requirements and handling. Keeps detailed records of all tests performed. Reports laboratory findings to authorized persons.
- Assists in transporting items between laboratory, clinic and hospital locations. Maintains packing/shipping training and certification as appropriate to remain in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Performs authorized (e.g., CLIA waived) tests in various areas such as serology, hematology, chemistry, microbiology, histology and cytology using standard techniques and equipment as needed. (All tests performed must be certified and verified by supervisor or designee of assigned department as needed).
- Performs Bleeding Time Test under direct supervision.
- Prepares solutions, reagents, and stains, following standard laboratory formulas and procedures. Cleans and sterilizes laboratory equipment and instruments. Maintains laboratory stock of supplies and chemicals.
- Keeps work area neat and clean.
- Maintains customer focus. Demonstrates principles of service excellence in all activities.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide care and/or service appropriate to age groups served.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide culturally sensitive care and/or service.
- Adheres to and maintains current knowledge of Principles of Responsibility, applicable federal and state laws and regulations, accreditation and licensing requirements, policies and procedures. Reports and/or resolves issues of non-compliance.
- On regular, sustained basis, cooperates with other staff members both within and outside department in accomplishment of own job duties as well as assisting others in accomplishing theirs. Serves as team player and role model for other employees in organization, always exhibiting traits of courtesy, caring, helpfulness and respect. Conducts self in service-oriented manner that is attentive, pleasant, cooperative, sensitive, respectful and kind when dealing with members, visitors, public and all employees.
- Performs other duties and accepts responsibility as assigned.
- Six (6) months ofexperience in clinical laboratory setting with some phlebotomy experience.
- High School Diploma.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Adult Heartsaver AED CPR or Adult CPR/AED certification (within six months of hire).
- Demonstrated skills in specimen processing.
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
- Reading, writing, speaking, understanding English.
- Training/giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g., organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration and alertness.
- One (1) year as Lab Assistant II or similar position.
- Experience in wide range of age-related phlebotomy areas (e.g., newborn, pediatric, geriatric).
- Post high school training/education with emphasis in science (e.g., biology, chemistry).
- Phlebotomy training.
- Certified Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomist (CLPlb) by the National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel, Inc. (NCA).
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (PBT) by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in word processing, spreadsheet, and database PC applications.
-This is a temporary position.
Primary Location: Hawaii,Lihue,Lihue Medical Offices 4366 Kukui Grove St. Ste. 1
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Temporary
Employee Group: HERE-Local 5
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Public Department Name: Pathology/Lab-Clinical Lab
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements