Pharmacy Assistant (MT 2073) Downey, CA
Under direct supervision and control of a licensed pharmacist, provides in-person and telephone reception, receives and directs new and refill prescriptions for further processing, produces computerized or typed prescription labels, packages and sells filled prescriptions and pharmaceutical merchandise and assists pharmacy personnel with clerical functions.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws. Provides in-person and telephone reception to patients in accordance with established service and telephone access standards.
- Receives new prescriptions and/or refills ensuring the correct entry/documentation of information required to process the order.
- Identifies prescriptions needing refill authorization and refers to providers.
- Verifies that prescription indicates drug name, strength, direction for use, quantity to be dispensed, any special instructions, and refill information. Recognizes potential for generic or therapeutic substitution.
- Alerts pharmacists when information is lacking and prescription requires further action and/or when information is noted in allergy and comment field in PIMS.
- Enters required prescription and/or patient information into pharmacy computer (Pharmacy Information Management System-PIMS) and/or types prescription label.
- Processes prescription refill authorization requests and enters responses from providers into PIMS.
- Places filled prescription(s) in appropriate container for immediate or future sale.
- Organizes and maintains packaged prescriptions for efficient retrieval.
- Prepares prescriptions for delivery by mail or UPS when requested.
- Sells prescriptions verifying correct patient through the matching of a call slip against a claim check, checking health plan card or other patient identification.
- Sells other pharmaceutical merchandise to members.
- Records all transactions and receipt of cash, checks, or credit card charges in cash register.
- Provides correct change and appropriate receipts to patients.
- Maintains the security and integrity of the cash register drawer contents.
- Counts cash drawer change fund.
- Is responsible for preparation and proper disposition of deposit.
- Follows Regional, Area and location cash handling policies and procedures.
- Prepares and reconciles daily cash register summary documents and prepares daily combined bank deposit for pharmacy.
- Forwards appropriate cash summary and documentation to cash control as required.
- Completes appropriate documentation and secures the bank deposit and exchange fund for pick-up by armored car delivery service.
- May be required to perform duties of the Inventory Control Assistant, which include the ordering and receiving of pharmaceutical merchandise from established sources, affixing price labels, and restocking shelves both within the pharmacy and medical offices.
- Makes recommendations to management regarding systems or operational improvements to enhance services provided by the department.
- Maintains work area and equipment in an organized and clean condition; maintains a safe, secure and efficient work environment.
- Exemplifies pharmacy's mission and the organization's vision by contributing to the health satisfaction of members by providing appropriate medications, information, and professional services in a helping, caring, courteous, and efficient manner.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Typing speed of 30 wpm or 6000 KPH. Typing score must be current within one (1) year. Please contact Human Resources for testing.
- Excellent customer service and telephone reception skills.
- Excellent written and verbal English-speaking communication skills (Foreign language ability may be required at specific locations).
- Ability to read, understand and transcribe pharmaceutical information.
- Demonstrated mathematical skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide).
- MUST PASS BACKGROUND CHECK.
- Clerical Skills: Typing 30 wpm or 6,000 kph. Typing score must be current within one (1) year. Please contact Human Resources for testing.
- Requires standing for long periods of time, and communicate with co-workers and patients.
- Ability to lift/transport 1-50 lbs.
- Light to moderate carrying, pulling, pushing, walking and frequent bending, stooping and reaching.
License, Certification, Registration
- PR# MT-2073
Primary Location: California,Downey,Downey Boeing - Independence Park 12254 Bellflower
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 24
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: UFCW - Local 324
Job Level: Entry Level
Public Department Name: Pharmacy Benefits
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements