Pathology Grossing Technician On Call Denver, CO
Under the direction/supervision of a Pathologist, prepares grosses and dissects human tissues. Makes members/patients and their needs a primary focus of one's actions; develops and sustains productive member/patient relationships. Actively seeks information to understand member/patient circumstances, problems, expectations, and needs. Builds rapport and cooperative relationship with members/patients. Considers how actions or plans will affect members; responds quickly to meet member/patient needs and resolves problems.
- Assists in frozen sections, fine needle aspirations, slide staining and special protocol procedures and specimen handling and shipment. Obtains clinical history, including scans, x-rays and laboratory data as needed. Describes gross anatomic features, dissecting surgical specimens and preparing tissues for histologic processing. Obtains biological specimens such as blood, tissue and toxicological material for studies such as flow cytometry, image analysis, immunohistochemistry, etc. Maintains surgical pathology protocols, reports and data, including the filing of reports, protocols, photographic and microscopic slides.
- Assures proper maintenance of equipment, provision of adequate supplies, and cleanliness of the surgical pathology gross room. Retrieves patient's medical chart and other pertinent data for review with the attending Pathologist. Confers with the attending pathologist to identify any special techniques and procedures to be utilized in the completion of the postmortem examination, (e.g. smears, cultures, histochemical, immunofluorescence, toxicological, viral or electron microscopy studies) and notifying all personnel directly involved. Notifies physician in charge, the funeral home, and all other appropriate authorities prior to the beginning of the autopsy and coordinates any requests for special specimen sampling. Performs postmortem examinations, which may include external examination, insitu organ inspection, evisceration, dissection and dictation or recording of data such as organ weights, presence of body fluids and gross anatomic findings. Selects, prepares and submits appropriate gross tissue sections for frozen section analysis as well as for light, electron and immunofluorescent microscopy. Gathers and organizes clinical information and data pertinent to the preparation of the preliminary summarization of the clinical history. Prepares the body for release and releases the body to the appropriate mortuary or funeral home representative. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in a laboratory science or medical laboratory technology, or at least 60 semester hours, or equivalent, from an accredited institution that, at a minimum, include either: 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses, or 24 semester hours of science courses that include six semester hours of chemistry and six semester hours of biology and twelve semester hours of chemistry, biology, or medical laboratory technology in any combination.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated analytical, diagnostic reasoning skills and excellent communication skills required.
- Must understand safety and infectious control procedures.
- Demonstrated customer service skills, customer focus abilities and the ability to understand Kaiser Permanente customer needs.
- At least two (2) years of experience in a Pathology Lab preferred.
- Typing and computer skills preferred.
Primary Location: Colorado,Denver,Stapleton Support Services 11000 E. 45th Ave.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 1
Working Days: Variable
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: SEIU - Local 105
Job Level: Entry Level
Public Department Name: Histology Laboratory
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements