Sr Periop Material Cost Specialist Redwood City, CA
Supervises materials cost containment in the operating room including the inventory control system and various databases. Monitors department budget issues, and provides lead direction to operating room storekeepers. Ensures compliance with Group Purchasing Organization (GPO) agreements. Responsible for achieving all Service Area and National Contracting and Purchasing cost savings goals. Works with the OR Manager and the local Labor Management Partnership representative to implement safety products and identify and achieve cost savings.
- Takes a lead role in the development and maintenance of a purchasing strategy for the Operating Room that is consistent with the overall national sourcing strategy to ensure KP receives the best value for dollars spent on products and services.
- Reviews, edits, and updates surgery schedules daily with the OR nurse scheduler and manages timely ordering of equipment and supplies, including tissue.
- Researches, obtain quotes and transact contracts for equipment and supplies through the appropriate purchasing channels (e Procurement or OneLink).
- Manages product recall, coordinating with facility departments to return product for credit or exchange.
- Supervises and tracks all inventory, with responsibility for the daily management of information systems processing requirements for administering supplies, equipment and services transactions and requests.
- Must be available by pager 24/7. Manages process around OR implant usage, preparation and restocking.
- Manages inventory reconciliations including match exception (ME) resolution. Insures that all internal audit controls are followed.
- Responsible for vendor relations, overseeing trials and loans of equipment and supplies. Manages vendor visitation policy.
- Monitors and oversees vendor activities are in compliance with internal audit controls and PO agreements.
- Develops reports and extracts data from various systems for analysis and interpretation on utilization, quality and inventory levels to insure compliance.
- Ensures that all Internal Audit Controls are followed.
- Conducts trend analysis and compliance monitoring to adjust PAR levels and review inventory accuracy.
- Analyzes contracts and purchases to ensure cost savings and quality goals and guidelines.
- Recommends action steps such as changes, additions and deletions to contracts.
- Develops annual budget with Materials Manager and monitors and tracks budget variances on a monthly basis.
- Recommends corrective action to supply cost variances.
- Identifies and implements Product Utilization savings. Advises National Procurement Supply of new services that require new products and, thus, new contracts.
- Supports Physicians and other health care provider peer groups in their equipment standardization.
- Participates on Local Product Council to present findings and recommendations on cost savings opportunities. Participates on Project Start Up Teams for new facilities.
- Coordinates and oversees annual OR and ASU Physical Inventory.
- This position may supervise and/or manage staff, including interviewing, hiring, terminating, training, motivating, reward and recognition, perforamnce reviews, development plans, and corrective action as needed. (Staff may include both represented and non-represented personnel with responsibilities for purchasing, replenishment, inventory accuracy, procedure crd maintenance and preparing surgical carts).
- Reviews workflow and makes recommendations for work assignments.
- Trains and leads storekeepers in meeting the Operating Room service requirements.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a combination of purchasing, contracting, suppply chain management or other related areas, including previous experience with systems management and inventory control of $5MM+ annual spend.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, finance, material management, economics or related field; OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Proficient in a variety of software applications with the ability to develop complex spreadsheets and write business communications.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Experience in a healthcare environment with specific knowledge of Operating Room medical/ surgical products preferred.
- Experience working in a union environment preferred.
- Professional certification such as a Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) preferred.
- Significant knowledge of products/services and their market environment within the scope of Kaiser Permanente's procurement and logistics programs preferred.
Primary Location: California,Redwood City,Redwood City Hospital 1150 Veterans Blvd.
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job: Materials Management
Public Department Name: Supply Chain
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements