Entry Level Clinical Laboratory Scientist\Clinical Laboratory Scientist\Sr. Clinical Laboratory Scientist Berkeley, CA
Clinical Laboratory Scientist, (includes CLS Sr., CLS, and Entry Level CLS)
Under the general direction of the Laboratory Director, or their designee, performs pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical procedures and analyses to provide data for health maintenance, diagnoses, treatment and monitoring of medical conditions. Enhances quality of patient care and service through interdepartmental cooperation and quality assurance protocols.
- Correctly verifies that the proper specimen is being analyzed for the correct patients and that the correct test is being performed.
- Judges the adequacy and qualities of specimens submitted for testing.
- Analyzes clinical laboratory specimens following the standard methods and procedures approved by the Laboratory Director or designee.
- Performs quality control procedures to ensure accuracy of clinical data.
- Utilizes test reference ranges (including neonates, pediatric and adult) to determine reasonableness of test results.
- Validates test results through correlation with test parameters (e.g. Hgb/Hct, anion gap, platelet count/smear, dipstick/micro etc.)
- Confirms testing on all Critical Values to ensure accuracy prior to releasing of test results.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance and troubleshooting on assigned instruments and equipment according to established schedule and procedure.
- Performs and documents instrument function by checking and calibrating specific lab instruments and documents data.
- Records on instrument logs any repairs, replacement, and maintenance needed of equipment.
- Releases or reports results per Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures.
- Trains laboratory assistants on proper techniques/procedures related to clinical laboratory practice.
- Performs other related duties as necessary.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Entry Level - Provides general or direct supervision of Lab Assistants and general Clerical Personnel as required according to lab law and regulations.
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist - Provides general or direct supervision of Lab Assistants and general Clerical Personnel as required according to lab law and regulations.
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Sr. - Trains laboratory assistants, and other Clinical Laboratory Scientists, on proper techniques/procedures related to clinical laboratory practice. Assist with Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement activities consistent with the Laboratory Quality Plan. Provides general or direct supervision of Lab Assistants and general Clerical Personnel as required according to lab law and regulations.
- Sr. CLS minimum 3 years of experience, CLS minimum 6 months of experience, Entry Level CLS = none. - Bachelor's degree in Clinical Lab Sciences or related field. Applicable military experience may be substituted for bachelor's degree.
- Current California State Clinical Laboratory Scientist License/Valid Temporary California State Clinical Laboratory Scientist License for entry level CLS.
- Computer application experience/proficiency preferred.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
Primary Location: California,Berkeley,Berkeley Regional Lab - 1701 1701 Eastshore
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Sat
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: ESC/IFPTE - Local 20 - Clinical Lab Scientists
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Public Department Name: Laboratory
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements