Chaplain MC & MHC Bellflower, CA
To provide spiritual support and counseling to hospital patients, families and staff in a culturally competent manner. The Chaplain is a member of the interdisciplinary patient care team, participate in patient care planning and documents all pertinent interventions in the patient care record using established charting methodologies.
- Provides spiritual support and counseling to patients, family members/significant others and staff members. The Chaplain interacts daily with the staff and other members of numerous interdisciplinary teams to formulate and evaluate patient care needs.
- Completes clinical documentation in the patient's medical record.
- Serves on Medical Center/Service Area Committees and interdisciplinary teams as required by hospital policies and procedures and as requested by leadership.
- Conducts in-service training for staff with regard to providing spiritual support.
- Conducts religious services for patients as requested and participates in various professional associations for personal and professional growth with the goal of promoting spiritual wellbeing for our patients by building community clergy connections and relationships.
- Coordinates, trains and evaluates lay Spiritual Care Volunteers and/or a team of interfaith community spiritual care volunteers as needed.
- May form a team from local community interfaith Clergy to support Spiritual Care for all patients.
- Provides and coordinate faith based support for various faith traditions throughout the year. (i.e Ash Wednesday, Nurse's Week, blessing for medical center events or other celebrations, services, memorials outside of normal business hours.)
- May need to be available on a 24-hour basis (as determined appropriate by local leadership).
- Minimum of one (1) year of pastoral care experience in a hospital setting.
- Master's Degree in Divinity, Theology or related field from an accredited Seminary, College or University required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Ordained, licensed or endorsed for ministry by their prospective recognized faith community preferred.
- Board Certified Chaplain with APC, NACC or NAJC preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) units of Clinical Pastoral Education completed from an accredited program preferred.
- Days and Hours may vary depending on the need of the Department
Primary Location: California,Bellflower,Downey Medical Center
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job: Behavioral / Mental Health
Public Department Name: Downey Medical Center
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Submit Click here for additonal requirements